Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Who's Visiting Today?

Monday, August 17, 2009

Transitions

Well, it's time to finally do this post, though I've been avoiding it.

In the beginning of June, I resigned as the pastor of Rock Presbyterian Church. After almost 4 years of service there I needed to be in a less stressful position.

At Rock I was responsible for so many different areas and committees. Each week I had to write a sermon and while I think I was good at it the task was so daunting to me. It would consume me each week and the stress from that would enter into our home life virtually every day. I never felt like I was doing my job well... never visiting shut-ins enough or doing home communions, etc. And then I had the chance to do confirmation this year and LOVED it. I seriously was so happy every time I had the teens in my office. Then in about March or April I preached a sermon about John the Baptist... about how sometimes in order to move forward we need to look back. It was about PHIL (yes, I hope you read this!) and Dandelions (smile!!!). I knew then that I needed to be in a place working with teens and being more creative and less administrative.

Of course this is exactly how God works because my friends told me about a position opening at the church in my town for youth work. I was pregnant, stressed about work, and a new position opened in my lap. I interviewed putting it all in God's hands, knowing that if it didn't happen then God would want me to stay put. Sure enough the interview was smooth as silk and the committee was sure immediately that I was the right person. I loved the possibility, but I was and am in love with the people and the amazing work God has done at Rock. Some of my great friends and I have worked so hard to create a church environment that we wanted to invite our friends too and the church blossomed soooo much. Worship was fun and meaningful, people were open and warm, it was proof to me that if you simply follow God's words and pray unceasingly that people will be drawn to faith.

But, it was not right for my family. It was not healthy to be a stress case all the time. I hated the idea of daycare and I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Today was my first day the new position. I am responsible for children and youth and their families. It is an awesome opportunity. I make about the same pay, Noah goes to their preschool for free, Maeve stays with me in my office, I can walk to work and I don't shoulder so much responsibility. I will plan fun events and retreats. The church also has a partnership with South Africa and they send people every year to do mission work.... oh how I would LOVE to go! They said if I wanted to work from home I could and they will be as flexible as I need with the kids. I'll do a Sunday night youth group and a Wednesday after school club as well as make sure all of the teachers have what they need. I'll preach and do children's sermons occasionally as well.

It's certainly going to be different and I MISS MISS MISS my family at Rock, but I am so grateful for this opportunity and this new step for our family.

Oxford Pres is a totally new experience for me. I have never been a church this big, either worshipping or working. There is a whole staff of people and it is really the center of the community in Oxford. This picture is stolen from their website... building on the left and sanctuary on the right.


I hope this answers some of your questions!!

2 comments:

Katie

CONGRATS Steph! I know you will be amazing at this job and it will suit your family well. This is great news. Transitions are never easy but sometimes VERY worth the effort. HUGS.

Megan

i have always wondered what it is like at that church! i love the building! and...we miss u to! we havent been able to go to church all summer because lexy is not up that early! good luck!