Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Who's Visiting Today?

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Nursery


Here are the pictures from the nursery.  It is 98% done.  We recently ordered a vinyl wall sticky of a very large branch to go up in the top area and that is coming this week.  There are lots of pics here, so I hope it loads for you!!!


Here's the best overall picture I can get.  It's a pretty small room, so I did my best!  The plaque on the windowsill, which still needs to be hung, has the scripture I picked for her:

"Consider the birds of the air, careless in the care of God.  Free and unfettered, not tied to a job description.  And you, little one, count far more to God than the birds."  Matthew 6:26 (Message, ed).

Our rocking chair (actually one from Cracker Barrel!) given to us by my parents before Noah was born.  The pillow is from the same artist as the painting on the mantel (both are from Urban Outfitters).

Her little table.  I found an old owl journal on Etsy, an Owl Babies book, and one of my very favorite people, Ali, who is now stationed in Japan in the Navy sent this picture frame for Maeve.... how cute!

The bulletin board I made for her and two tree branch hooks with her bath robe hung on one of them.  
Her enormous closet.  It is funny the way things work out.  Noah's room doesn't have a closet at all and Maeve's room has a big closet for her 8 million dresses!  We have sooooooo many clothes.  Some of our friends lent us their girl clothes and our friends Jane and Justin gave us everything they had for two girls who were always dressed to the nines.  They are totally done with kids and gave us their swing, bouncer, coats, shoes, everything... pretty amazing!  We had the big stuff from Noah, but Jane suggested having one swing, bouncy on each floor in case you are upstairs with Noah and need a quick place to put her down.  



Her crib bedding is Pottery Barn Penelope which I think I shared before.  Her sheets are Brooke with owls all over them.  This is the dress I found to bring her home in.  I just hope she's big enough!  At 36 weeks, her weight according to the book is about 6 lbs.  Noah was an even 7 and the newborn clothes were huge on him.  

This is the view of the other side of the room.  This is a painting of a tree with roots growing in a strawberry patch.  We couldn't decide what to put on the mantel and I gave Paul some options and he chose this one.  I think is is beautiful.  You can also see how the mobile hangs.  

This is the quilt I finally finished for her.  I have never quilted before so this was a huge task for me.  It is sooooo far from being perfect, but I love it anyway.  I originally bought a quick quilt kit but I didn't like the fabrics they used so I took it back and bought fabrics I liked.  I'm pretty happy with it.  I bought 4 owl appliques and sewed them on as well.  Paul helped a ton with the actual quilting portion of it....



I didn't like any burp cloths I found so I took old school diapers and sewed ribbon and pink decorative thread into them.  They are like the ones my friend Katie made back when Noah was born.


Here is her owl mobile.  We used a pattern for the birds and sat around one Saturday night cutting them all out.  It is hung from a photo mobile holder we bought online.  The trees have little light catching jewels on them.  



These are the blocks I made of her name and the owl bank we got on Etsy.

I'm really happy with the way the nursery looks.  It is not what I had in mind in the beginning, but I love that it is a great mix between girly and classic and whimisical.  Most people were really surprised that I picked owls and thought it was really weird, but I really love it and I think it is out of the ordinary (at least in the mainstream, not in the etsy/handmade world).  I hope you enjoyed seeing my ridiculous journey to finish Maeve's nursery!!!! Soon she'll be here to enjoy it herself.  

2 comments:

Unknown

This is great. What a beautiful and imaginative room. You are truly creative. I love the owl motif and must tell you that the owl is the mascot for Bryn Mawr College. Maybe we have a future Bryn Mawr girl here.
Love, Sandra and Len

Mackie

awww steph i absolutely LOVE the room, much more creative than alexis got! and as for the closet girls need bigger closets anyway! lol boys dont care! i still love the owl theme its different and i like different! it wont be long before she is here and can enjoy that wonderful room. Take it easy!