Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Who's Visiting Today?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Reading

As I child I always had my head in a book...I loved to read. I remember poring over Little House and Nancy Drew. As I got older I would beg my mom to buy me books at the grocery store, only to have them finished before we got home. Anyone with a small child knows how hard it can be to find quality reading time, but since the beach, I have somehow found time for it. After Eat Pray Love, I read "The Memory Keepers Daughter" and "Water for Elephants" which were both quick, easy and nice reads. But after the soul probing of Eat Pray Love those other best sellers simply didn't cut it.

Two of my very faithful friends from the far ends of the country recommended The Shack. I couldn't wait to get it for my trip but I didn't have time to run to the Christian book store or Borders and the chain stores and airport book stores didn't have it. I stumbled into a small local bookstore in Carbondale, CO and there it was right up front.

That night before bed I got a few pages in, but I was so exhausted and needed to leave early for my flight home. Once I got on the plane, I never put the book down. All the way through the airport connection I kept reading. When I was on the last leg of my trip I sat curled up in my airplane window seat trying to hide my tears. The little square Delta drink napkins were highly insufficient to help with the emotion that flowed out of my body. Though I must admit, there were a few parts that I wasn't sure about, the clarity with which Mack talks about God and the grace and love that he receives from God are so overwhelming and affirming and life giving I was moved beyond recognition. There must be 50 pages earmarked for further study and reflection. I'm not quite sure what to do with all of it... but for your sake, read the book.

2 comments:

Tammy

I'm so glad you loved it! I guess I just didn't look at it as an elaboration/addition/subtraction from the bible like many people did- just a great book and a great glimpse into something our minds cannot begin to fathom.

Anonymous

I'm so glad you read it and enjoyed it! I'm having trouble getting into another good book now...